Yoast SEO: the #1 WordPress SEO plugin
Need some help with your search engine optimization? Need an SEO plugin that helps you reach for the stars? Yoast SEO is the original WordPress SEO plugin since 2008. It is the favorite tool of millions of users, ranging from the bakery around the corner to some of the most popular sites on the planet. With Yoast SEO, you get a solid toolset that helps you aim for that number one spot in the search results. Yoast: SEO for everyone.
Yoast SEO does everything in its power to please both visitors and search engine spiders. How? Below you’ll find a small sampling of the powers of Yoast SEO:
Taking care of your WordPress SEO
- The most advanced XML Sitemaps functionality at the push of a button.
- Full control over site breadcrumbs: add a piece of code and you’re good to go.
- Set canonical URLs to avoid duplicate content. Never have to worry about Google penalties again.
- Title and meta description templating for better branding and consistent snippets in the search results.
- [Premium] Expand Yoast SEO with the News SEO, Video SEO, Local SEO and WooCommerce SEO extensions.
- [Premium] Need help? Yoast SEO Premium users get 1 year free access to our awesome support team.
- Fixes a bug where network-wide settings were not saved on multisite environments.
- The recalibrated analysis is out of its beta phase and is now the default for the SEO analysis. Thanks for testing and giving us your valuable feedback! You are awesome!
- Adds `$taxonomy` to the arguments passed to the `wpseo_terms` filter. Props to [polevaultweb](hrace009 Community).
- Changes the screen reader text of the SEO score indicator in the menu bar and the traffic light in the snippet preview from `Bad SEO score.` to `Needs improvement.`
- Props to [Kingdutch](hrace009 Community) for helping improve our open source content analysis library.
- Fixes a bug where the `focus keyphrase` snippet variable was not correctly applied on term pages.
- Fixes a bug where the Facebook image that was set for the WooCommerce Shop page would not be outputted as `og:image`. Props [stodorovic](hrace009 Community).
- Fixes a bug where the featured image set on a WooCommerce Shop page would not be outputted as Facebook OpenGraph Image or Twitter Image. Props [stodorovic](hrace009 Community).
- Fixes a bug where backslashes and consecutive double quotes would be removed from the focus keyphrase when saving a post or term.
- Fixes a bug where backslashes would be removed from the breadcrumb title, focus keyphrase, title or meta description when saving a term.
- Replaces inch marks by smart quotes in search breadcrumbs.
- Improves the feedback for the assessment that checks the length of cornerstone articles.
- Improves accessibility and focus management for the How-To and FAQ structured data blocks.
- Improves the Internal Links table headers on the post overview for better translations and accessibility.
- Adds a description of the SEO and Readability score to the posts and taxonomies overview in mobile view.
- Adds a label element to the Google Search Console authorisation code input field in the configuration wizard.
- Fixes a bug where a Flesch reading ease score of exactly 90 would trigger incorrect feedback.
- Fixes a bug where the taxonomy sitemap provider would not handle private taxonomies as expected, resulting in sitemaps not being accessible in specific situations.
- Fixes a bug where an empty twitter description instead of the term description would be shown.
- Fixes a bug where ‘undefined index’ warnings would be given when saving a Facebook image.
- Fixes a bug where the Recalibration Beta could not be loaded in combination with specific server configurations.
Content analysis recalibration (beta):
- As there are already a lot of users who are participating in testing, we currently have enough input to start preparing for the release of the improved analysis.
- Removes the ability to enable beta testing for new installations.
- When the feature is disabled, the ability to re-enable it will disappear.
- Removes schema (JSON+LD) output from 404 pages.
- Improves the Google Search Console table accessibility by removing a duplicate button.
- Improves the code to better comply to the coding standards.
- Fixes a bug where an empty feed would be available for non-existing pages. Props stodorovic.
- Prevents vendor_prefix/j4mie/idiorm/demo.php from being included in the release.
- Props to Kingdutch for helping improve our open source content analysis library.
- Improves the redirect upsell when creating redirects in the search console overview.
- Completes the readability analysis for Swedish by adding the transition words, sentence beginnings and passive voice assessments.
- Improves the transition word assessment for German.
- Fixes a bug where the Ryte endpoint would be called when the Ryte feature has been disabled.
- Fixes a bug where the ‘Show archives for authors without posts in search results?’ toggle would be shown when the ‘Show author archives in search results?’ toggle was disabled in the search appearance settings.
- Fixes a bug where the front page would be shown in the page sitemap. Props to stodorovic.
- Fixes a bug where errors would be thrown in the classic editor when Gutenberg assets were enqueued without Gutenberg being active.
- Fixes a bug where the editor would not be loaded when clicking the ‘edit’ button for a child page in the page overview. Props mondrey.
- Deprecates the methods WPSEO_Utils::get_user_locale() and WPSEO_Utils::get_language().
- Adds a Courses Page showing an overview of the available online courses offered by Yoast Academy.
Content analysis recalibration (beta):
- Adds a toggle feature for subscribing to the recalibration beta under SEO -> General -> Features.
- When the recalibration feature is enabled:
- The single title assessment is added. This assessment makes sure that you don’t use superfluous H1s in your text.
- Assessments changes:
- Keyphrase density: changes scoring schema to account for the length of the keyphrase and changes feedback strings so that we give feedback about the number of occurrences rather than a percentage.
- Outbound links assessment: changes the scoring schema so that red bullet instead of an orange bullet is shown when you have no outbound links.
- Image alt attributes: if there are at least 5 images, checks whether the alt tags contain the keyphrase or synoynyms in 30-70% of all images. If there are less than 5 images, 1 image with the keyphrase or synonym in the alt tag is still scored as good.
- Keyphrase in title: function words preceding the exact match keyphrase are ignored when determining the position of the keyphrase in the title.
- Keyphrase length: makes the scoring scheme less strict for languages that don’t have function word support, so that for these languages keyphrases with 1-6 words are scored as green, 7-9 as orange, and more than 9 as red.
- Keyphrase in subheading: only takes H2 and H3 level subheadings into account and changes the scoring schema so that 30%-75% of these subheadings need to include the keyphrase or its synonyms. In languages without function word support, a match is only counted if all the words from the keyphrase/synonym appear in the subheading.
- Text length: on taxonomy pages, the recommended minimum text length is increased from 150 to 250 words.
- Assessment removals:
- The assessment checking the length or your URL.
- The assessment checking whether your URL contains stopwords.
- Improve accessibility of the analysis results.
- Improve accessibility of the Title Separator setting.
- Adds a new filter for adjacent-rel links: wpseo_adjacent_rel_url.
- Fixes a bug where special characters from certain word lists weren’t correctly escaped when matched with a regex. This resulted in eggs being incorrectly matched as the transition word e.g., for example.
- Fixes a bug where the search appearance setting for a custom content type named profile would have a broken layout.
- Fixes a bug where pagination elements were not shown in the Genesis theme.
- Uses method is_simple_page instead of is_singular in method robots. Props to: stodorovic
- Adds method is_woocommerce_active and check is woocommerce activate before registering hooks. Props to stodorovic
- Adds static variables to “cache” results of functions is_shop and wc_get_page_id. Props to stodorovic
- Verifies that variable post is an instance of WP_Post in WPSEO_Admin_Bar_Menu ::get_singular_post(). Props to @yingles.
- Improves strings to be more easily translated. Props to pedro-mendonca
- The browser console now shows more descriptive error messages when something went wrong during analyses in the web worker.
- Avoids irrelevant warning and error in the WPEngine PHP Compatibility plugin.
- Reapplies the markers in Gutenberg when the content changes to make sure they stay up-to-date.
- Changes the output of schema preventing unnecessary escaping of forward slashes, only available on sites running PHP 5.4 or higher.
- Changes the website schema @id attribute to include the home URL to be a unique identifier.
- Adds the page number to the breadcrumbs when an archived page is entered.
- Removes a redundant Edge-specific CSS fix for the tooltips in the post overview. Props mkronenfeld.
- Fixes a bug where the ‘Select primary category’ label in the primary taxonomy picker would overlap the ‘Add new category’ button.
- Fixes a bug where the cornerstone filter was still visible with the metabox disabled.
- Fixes a bug where non-functional markers are shown for taxonomy pages.
- Fixes a bug where the og:description tag would remain empty after setting the author description.
- Fixes a bug where texts in the configuration wizard would overlap each other and break out of the columns in Internet Explorer 11. Props DrGrimshaw.
- Fixes a bug where keyphrases weren’t recognized in the URL when the words in the URL were separated by underscore characters instead of hyphens.
- Fixes a bug that caused numbers to be stripped when marking a keyphrase containing a number, e.g. ‘Yoast SEO 9.3’.
- Fixes a bug where the first tab of the metabox would be empty when using WordPress 4.8.x.
- Fixes a bug where private post types would have a sitemap with their ‘private’ entries.
- Implemented performance optimizations in FAQ and How To blocks.
- Fixes a bug where the title and meta description field’s cursor would jump to the start when typing.